Tropentag, September 19 - 21, 2016 in Vienna, Austria
"Solidarity in a competing world - fair use of resources"
Diversified Agriculture for a Balanced Nutrition in Sub-Saharan Africa – Projects Supported by the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture, BMEL
With the funding instrument “Research Cooperation for Global Food Security and Nutrition” The Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture (BMEL) strengthens the contribution of Germany's agricultural and nutritional research to the development of an efficient food system in partner countries, by building long-term partnerships between agricultural and nutritional research institutions in Germany, Africa and Southeast Asia.
Two calls for proposals have been published since 2013 focusing on diversified agriculture for nutrition-sensitive food production and on improved processing of local food to reduce seasonal food insecurity as well as food and nutrient losses.
Funding agency is BLE.
The BMEL session at Tropentag 2016 seeks to present the consortia and their projects funded within the frame of the first call on diversifying agriculture and the ERA-Net ERA-ARD II:
- BAOFOOD - Enhancing local food security and nutrition through promoting the use of Baobab (Adansonia digitata L.) in rural communities in Eastern Africa, coordinator: Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (HSRW). Participation: Justus Liebig University of Giessen (JLU).
- Urban farming in Southern Africa – improved food safety and income options for urban disadvantaged communities (UFISAMO), coordinator: Humboldt University of Berlin (HU Berlin). Participation: Free University of Berlin (FUB).
- Crops for Healthy Diets: Linking Agriculture and Nutrition (HealthyLAND), coordinator: Justus-Liebig University Giessen (JLU). Participation: University of Hohenheim (UH).
- Diversifying agriculture for balanced nutrition through fruits and vegetables in multi-storey cropping systems (NutriHAF), coordinator: The Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Scaling-Up Nutrition: Implementing Potentials of nutrition-sensitive and diversified agriculture to increase food security (Scale-N), coordinator: Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF). Participation: University of Hohenheim (UH).
- ERA-ARD II (co-fund with BMLFUW): Smallholder Farmer Strategies to cope with Climate Change (SMACC), coordinator: University of Hohenheim (UH). Participation: University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU).
Keywords: Climate change, diversification, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, research cooperation, sub-Saharan Africa
Contact Address: N.N.,